scrapbook community ideas supplies inspiration onlinescrapbook community ideas supplies inspiration online

HOME · BLOG · STORE · NEWSSTAND · POST OFFICE · MUSEUM · HELP

ScrapVillage.com
Welcome to ScrapVillage

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
................ [ ] .... Gallery

help downloading fonts for Vista

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScrapVillage.com Forum Index -> The Repair Shop
View previous topic :: View next topic  
honeybee
New Kid on the Block

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: help downloading fonts for Vista Reply with quote

Hello everyone, what a talented group of people here. Just a quick question...I have Windows Vista and am trying to download the free fonts to use in my Photoshop program. I tried following the directions for PC downloads but I am new to Vista and it doesn't run the same as XP so I am lost. I've already clicked on and downloaded the fonts to a file on my computer but I can't seem to open them in Photoshop. What should I do? confused

Thanks!z
Tana
Mayor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeybee, welcome to the village! I don't have personal experience with Vista but googled and found these directions:
http://www.lytebyte.com/2007/07/03/how-to-install-new-fonts-in-windows-vista/

Maybe that will be helpful?

Also just to clarify... you said you are trying to open them "in photoshop". You should have the font file either open on your desktop or installed to your fonts folder before opening photoshop. I have XP and what I do is open the file on my desktop *before* opening photoshop. I just navigate to the ttf file in My Documents and double click it so it opens up a window on my desktop that shows the font. Then when I open photoshop it is listed in the drop down menu.

I do that with fonts I only want to occasionally because if I have a ton installed to c:/windows/fonts, it seems to slow down my computer.

So anyway, those are my suggestions, I hope something in there is helpful to you! Please report back and let us know how it goes, that will be really helpful for other Vista users who stop by.

Oh and what are you using the fonts for? I would love to see your project, share it in the musuem!! lachen

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
--Thomas Jefferson

It is never too late to be what we might have been.
-- George Eliot

pages completed in 2009: 117
pages completed in 2010: 355
pages completed in 2011: 190
pages completed in 2012: 72
pages completed in 2013: 307
pages completed in 2014: 159
honeybee
New Kid on the Block

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tana- Thanks for the warm welcome and the quick response. I chose to open the file and then open Photoshop like you mentioned you do so it won't slow the computer down and it worked PERFECTLY. I was able to find the fonts in the drop down window just like you said.

I am going to use the fonts for our family christmas card this year. I was hoping to take our own picture and put it together with a template that I am trying to create and use the cool fonts to write Merry Christmas and Happy New Year. If I make one I like I will be sure to share it with you all.

Thanks again!
Tana
Mayor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yay, so glad you are up and running with the font now!! Please do share your card when you are done, I need some inspiration in that area as this is on my to do list too and I do not want to wait until the last minute this year like I usually do.

A wise and frugal government, which shall leave men free to regulate their own pursuits of industry and improvement, and shall not take from the mouth of labor the bread it has earned - this is the sum of good government.
--Thomas Jefferson

-- George Eliot

honeybee
New Kid on the Block

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will hopefully get to work on the template here soon. My 9 yr old daughter drew some pretty cool christmas trees awhile back and I was thinking about scanning those drawings into the computer and then using them as a stamp tool for the decoration on the christmas card and with these new fonts I should end up with a pretty neat card. Maybe I can get some feed back from the museum with regards to making it better. Can't wait to get started.
irishirish15
Village Coach

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the Village! sorry no help on the vista but look forward to getting to know you.

OrangeShooze
City Planner

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeybee wrote:
I will hopefully get to work on the template here soon. My 9 yr old daughter drew some pretty cool christmas trees awhile back and I was thinking about scanning those drawings into the computer and then using them as a stamp tool for the decoration on the christmas card and with these new fonts I should end up with a pretty neat card. Maybe I can get some feed back from the museum with regards to making it better. Can't wait to get started.

Ooooh, what a cool idea! Very creative.

Welcome to ScrapVillage!
Tana
Mayor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 23, 2008 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honeybee wrote:

that sounds fabulous, can't wait to see it!

--Thomas Jefferson

-- George Eliot

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScrapVillage.com Forum Index -> The Repair Shop All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: