scrapbook community ideas supplies inspiration onlinescrapbook community ideas supplies inspiration online

HOME · BLOG · STORE · NEWSSTAND · POST OFFICE · MUSEUM · HELP

ScrapVillage.com
Welcome to ScrapVillage

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
................ [ ] .... Gallery

how it feels to be a "newbie"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScrapVillage.com Forum Index -> Beginners Corner
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OrangeShooze
City Planner

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: how it feels to be a "newbie" Reply with quote

When you started scrapbooking, did you feel overwhelmed, nervous or confused about anything? Were you sure you wanted to scrap or did you need to be coaxed? Did you have any concerns and, if so, what were they?

I was more excited than anything else and dived in without hesitation. I didn't worry one bit about "messing up." This came to mind recently because I'm trying to get started in cake decorating... I haven't even done anything yet but I keep finding "issues" to stress over, LOL! (should I take a class or try to self-teach? should I buy the 50-pc caddy, 101-pc caddy or no caddy at all? omg this is going to get expensive! etc. etc. etc...) Don't get me wrong, I'm interested and excited -- but I'm also totally nervous I'm going to botch something up. Totally nervous about the investment as well. Scrapbooking was so much easier for me... Regardless, even with the lack of confidence, the newness of everything in the "cake decorating world" is so fun and exciting... I remember when everything in the "scrapbooking world" was like that for me. Good times! kwim?
KCJenny
City Reporter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I can remember worrying about is if I would have enough money or space for everything I wanted!

I still worry about that.....but it doesn't stop me from buying! raspberry
Jiffy
City Clerk

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: how it feels to be a "newbie" Reply with quote

OrangeShooze wrote:
When you started scrapbooking, did you feel overwhelmed, nervous or confused about anything? Were you sure you wanted to scrap or did you need to be coaxed? Did you have any concerns and, if so, what were they?

I wasn't nervous or confused -- maybe just unsure if I had enough talent to scrapbook pages. I love most crafts and ... I love all shopping sprees ... so there was no need for coaxing me! Sometimes I hit 'dry spells' where I cannot think of any theme or idea for scrapping a LO and then at other times; I feel pretty pleased with my accomplishments. It's been wonderful belonging to SV cuz I always get inspired after spending some time in the village!
knittingbec
Robo-Villager

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't feel nervous or overwhelmed. It was just fun! Fun to buy stuff, fun to make stuff, and then I had my lovely family to ooh and ahh over my pages like they belonged in the real live art museum (even though they obviously didn't!)

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start" -John Bingham

"Whoever said orange is the new pink is seriously disturbed"- Legally Blonde

My Blog
My Gallery

canyonjoy
Village Tour Guide

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was somewhat relieved to finally find a hobby that fit me to a T, merging my interests in history, photography, design, as well as my love of all things paperish! eye roll

You can’t depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus. Mark Twain

There is not enough time to do all the nothing we want to do. Calvin and Hobbes

Last edited by canyonjoy on Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:04 pm; edited 1 time in total
yi-yi
Fountain Skinny Dipper

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friend who introduced me to sbing was really good at "cutesy" pages. I did not want to scrap "cutesy". So when she showed me her stuff, I usually was not interested. Finally she got me into it. And then I realized that there were many more ways to scrapbook.

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. --Phillipians 4:13
JustPlainBeth
Yarn Goddess

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my good friend was into CM... and I wasn't.. and her attitude about non CM stuff made me nervous to scrap with her or show her my stuff.. still does actually

"I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be." ~ Douglas Adams
Country Scrapper
Playground Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a little overwhelmed when I first started. But once I took the "plunge", I was more excited about creating...and buying more supplies! blush
MySunnyPlace
New Kid on the Block

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 6:24 pm    Post subject: Re: how it feels to be a "newbie" Reply with quote

OrangeShooze wrote:

I was more excited than anything else and dived in without hesitation. I didn't worry one bit about "messing up." This came to mind recently because I'm trying to get started in cake decorating... I haven't even done anything yet but I keep finding "issues" to stress over, LOL! (should I take a class or try to self-teach? should I buy the 50-pc caddy, 101-pc caddy or no caddy at all? omg this is going to get expensive! etc. etc. etc...) Don't get me wrong, I'm interested and excited -- but I'm also totally nervous I'm going to botch something up. Totally nervous about the investment as well. Scrapbooking was so much easier for me... Regardless, even with the lack of confidence, the newness of everything in the "cake decorating world" is so fun and exciting... I remember when everything in the "scrapbooking world" was like that for me. Good times! kwim?

Scrapbooking for me is exciting but at the same time overwhelming because there are tons to choose from… shocked
Since I remember I being in love with all kind of crafting stuff (different kinds of pens, in different color, markers, color pencils, different kinds of papers, different textures, colors; stickers…) and now that I discovery this Scrapbooking world I feel like I’m a child in a Candy shop eye roll , I would like to have everything!!!
wink
Julie K in Taiwan
Public Works Minister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first album I made was DHs first trip to Canada. 8 years and four trips later the pictures still aren't glued down. sigh.

OrangeShooze
City Planner

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello Welcome to ScrapVillage, MySunnyPlace!
txmommy129
Marine Corps Brat

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wan't nervous at all - I just jumped in! I have always loved crafting, so this was just something else to try. I completely loved it though and I kind of "settled down" with scrapbooking. Before that I tried everything that came my way - I would buy all the stuff and then never really finish anything. There were times in the beginning that I felt like my pages were not very good, especially since I was comparing them to others, but I got over it. Now I just do what makes me happy - my family like them and that's all that matters to me.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
canyonjoy
Village Tour Guide

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember that kid in a candy shop feeling and still often get it when I walk into a new store or go to a CK convention or a weekend crop. Welcome to our world, MySunnyPlace!

You can’t depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus. Mark Twain

There is not enough time to do all the nothing we want to do. Calvin and Hobbes

churchlady
Village Deaconette

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yi-yi wrote:
My friend who introduced me to sbing was really good at "cutesy" pages. I did not want to scrap "cutesy". So when she showed me her stuff, I usually was not interested. Finally she got me into it. And then I realized that there were many more ways to scrapbook.

My biggest fear was "cutesy". My SIL kept at me until she convinced me that each person could create their own style. The other fear I had was the whole "party" concept - getting trapped into going to parties and feeling pressured to buy stuff. I didn't want to spend a fortune on supplies that I might never really use.

My professional training encouraged a philosophy based approach to projects - so it took me a while to get a scrapbooking philosophy. Until I had one, I really wasn't comfortable scrapping. Family story telling and faith story telling is a big part of my professional training as well and really helped me focus in when developing a philosophy.

It doesn't matter if the water's warm or cold if you're going to have to wade through it anyway. Teilhard de Chardin

"Who says life is fair? Where is that written?" from the Princess Bride by William Goldman

Tana's 30 pages in November challenge: 36

Goals 2011: Finish Ali E's One Little Word

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScrapVillage.com Forum Index -> Beginners Corner All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: