scrapbook community ideas supplies inspiration onlinescrapbook community ideas supplies inspiration online

HOME · BLOG · STORE · NEWSSTAND · POST OFFICE · MUSEUM · HELP

ScrapVillage.com
Welcome to ScrapVillage

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
................ [ ] .... Gallery

Does anyone have a Kindle ??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScrapVillage.com Forum Index -> The Book Nook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TAngel
City Clerk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:31 am    Post subject: Does anyone have a Kindle ?? Reply with quote

I sigh heavy at night when I pick up my book and say out loud for DH to hear "Oh, these old fashion books are so hard to read" or something along those lines.

My Aunt in Law has the Kindle 2 and at a 4th of July Party I fell in love. She happen to have the book I was reading pre loaded so I sat and read while everyone else got drunk off their boooties...

She told me she loves the instant gratification she gets when she finishes a book and within 3 mins of choosing her next book it is downloaded to her kindle without hooking it up to a computer.... all her books are 9.99 from the Kindle shop (Amazon)

Curious if anyone else has one or one of the other brands????

Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
Tana
Mayor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have looked at it and drooled over it. If I bought all my books that is what I would do. But I get about 80% of my books free from the library so it wouldn't help me out right now.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Let's just all get some alcohol and calm down! -- Village Churchlady

pages completed in 2009: 117
pages completed in 2010: 355
pages completed in 2011: 190
pages completed in 2012: 72
pages completed in 2013: 307
pages completed in 2014: 208
TAngel
City Clerk

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tana, I read a post last week that some libraries allow you to check out electronic books – the poster says she can have three at a time and once you turn them in they no longer work on your kindle (or it may have been the Sony, I have been looking at them both).

I have issues with reading used books – I once checked out a book and went to turn the page and there was a dried bugger on it. I then let my mind wander to all the places people read (bathroom) and how clean their hands are when they touch the book that I can no longer read a used book. UNLESS I wear plastic gloves…. Odd huh?

Creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.
Jill
Village Librarian

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tee, lots of libraries now have Kindles. There was a grant or a giveaway by Amazon (fuzzy on the details) about 6 months back for libraries. The library I worked at before this one had an earlier version of the electronic books.

Hey, I know what you mean about handling/reading used books. Try working with them all day, your hands are so groady. After two hours of handling items when working at the circ. desk my hands are visibly dirty and feel nasty. I am lucky and since I know what pre-pub books are coming out I can put a hold on them early on in the game so they are still fairly new when I read them. I also get to catalog all fiction books at the library so those that don't aren't best sellers and don't have holds on them I often check out and take home before they get too used. I have read lots of new authors this way.

I also wipe down the books and other library materials I take home with me with an antiseptic wipe (like a Clorox wipe). Especially those that my dd is going to be handling. You should see the shape some books and other library materials come back in. We always know when a co-worker has encountered something gross at the circulation desk because they fly back to the breakroom to wash their hands. We do have hand sanitizer at the desk for staff and patrons, and keep antiseptic wipes handy at all times.

I'm a germ freak too. I figure it helps me with my OCD on some level to be forced to handle items so many others have touched. As long as I know I can wash my hands when I'm done with my desk shift I'm good.

And a tip to all. If something gross happens to your library item, please be sure you place it in a ziploc baggie before returning it to the library. We really hate handling wet, moldy, sticky, barfy, damaged items. My mom once dropped a book in water and it got moldy and she aske me what she should do. I said put it in a ziploc an return it to the library. They will charge you but will be so happy not to have to touch the book.

Tana
Mayor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG. I thought I was a germ freak before. Now I may have to get a kindle after all. My pocket book does not thank you two.

What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson

Let's just all get some alcohol and calm down! -- Village Churchlady

pages completed in 2009: 117
pages completed in 2010: 355
pages completed in 2011: 190
pages completed in 2012: 72
pages completed in 2013: 307
pages completed in 2014: 208
kmiller1229
Building Inspector

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, thank you very much ladies....I NEVER thought about the whole germ factor while reading a library book..but now...YUK. But working with kids on a daily basis, I think I'm pretty much immune to any germ that comes my way!

"Do or do not - there is no try" Yoda from Empire Strikes Back
cheerful cropper
City Planner

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

this is definitely on my wish list!! how easy it would make it. when you go on trips you would only have to pack 1 thing..no piles of heavy books!

knittingbec
Robo-Villager

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for totally grossing me out! I'd never thought of the germs on library books before! But I haven't "caught anything" yet, so I guess I'm okay to keep checking them out!
Krista, you have a really good point about only needing to pack one thing instead of multiple books... my problem is that I tend to over-pack books, just in case, but then end up not getting to them all, and feeling irritated or guilty that they are taking up room in my suitcase. Not so bad when I go visit my family, because I just leave the books there when I finish.
But still... I'm a cheapo and I prefer to check out from the library, buy paperback, or wait until a book hits the bargain shelf.

"Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right" - Henry Ford

"The miracle isn't that I finished. The miracle is that I had the courage to start" -John Bingham

My Gallery

yukonbear1
Playground Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sooo on my wish list! I've always had a crazy aversion to library books for the exact reason that Tee said! LOL! I know it sounds crazy, but I always wonder where people were reading their books.....like that episode of Seinfeld where George takes the book into the bathroom and it's flagged that he can't return it! LOL!
Kimmie
City Reporter

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 4:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I'll revive this year-old topic to say I bought a Kindle and I LOVE it! Once they reduced them I bought one for my Mom too. I'm a lover of real books, sure, but that's been part of my problem. I have trouble letting go of a book after I read it, and now we've got them stacked up around our ears. There's just no more space for books until I get my dream home with a library. lachen It's been great for me because I live 80 miles from a book store and 30 miles from a tiny library. Being able to get books instantly has been great. The downside is that I can't lend the books after I read them. :( I have to say it's been awesome for travel, though. I keep it in my purse so if I find myself in a waiting room or sitting in the truck while DH buys welding supplies I can disappear right into my current read. I can also get on a plane and read what would be a giant tome without the excess baggage. Another downside: it's an electronic device, so no reading during takeoff and landing. The brown leather cover I bought for it helps add to the illusion that I'm reading an actual book. It really didn't take much adjustment at all.

"Our dreams make us large." - Jack Kirby

My Dusty Gallery | My Blog | View My Best Photos

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScrapVillage.com Forum Index -> The Book Nook All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: