scrapbook community ideas supplies inspiration onlinescrapbook community ideas supplies inspiration online

HOME · BLOG · STORE · NEWSSTAND · POST OFFICE · MUSEUM · HELP

ScrapVillage.com
Welcome to ScrapVillage

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 
................ [ ] .... Gallery

2010 Reading List - wanna play?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScrapVillage.com Forum Index -> The Book Nook
View previous topic :: View next topic  
churchlady
Village Deaconette

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 9:40 am    Post subject: 2010 Reading List - wanna play? Reply with quote

Our book group just announced our 2011 book list. Anyone interested in discussing them here??

January Life Among the Lutherans by Garrison Keillor

February The Shack by William Young
March Chocolate Chip Murders by Joanne Fluke

April Les Miserables by Victor Hugo

May The Broken Teaglass by Emily *beep*

June The Help by Kathryn Stockett

July The Giant’s House by Elizabeth McCracken

August The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo by Stieg Larsson

Sept. The People of the Book by Geraldine Brooks
Oct. The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night by Mark Haddon
Nov. Tender is the Night by F. Scott Fitzgerald
Dec. Breakfast at Tiffany’s by Truman Capote

It doesn't matter if the water's warm or cold if you're going to have to wade through it anyway. Teilhard de Chardin

Whining is not only graceless, but it can be dangerous. It can alert a brute that a victim is in the neighborhood. Maya Angelou

Last edited by churchlady on Mon Oct 18, 2010 1:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jill
Village Librarian

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't mind giving it a shot. I have read two of them and have wanted to read several others. Everyone seems to like the Stieg Larsson books so maybe this will be the incentive to get me to read one.

churchlady
Village Deaconette

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 8:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jill, it's definitely a pick and choose kind of book club. There's one on there that I would never read myself, but we love the lady who suggested it, so we're taking one for the team, that month.

I've read the Giant's House before, but it's been long ago and I'm going to have to give it a quick skim.

It doesn't matter if the water's warm or cold if you're going to have to wade through it anyway. Teilhard de Chardin

Whining is not only graceless, but it can be dangerous. It can alert a brute that a victim is in the neighborhood. Maya Angelou

yi-yi
Fountain Skinny Dipper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 16, 2010 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's 2011, right?

Looks like some good stuff on there! I'll try to remember to play!

I can do all things through Christ, who strengthens me. --Phillipians 4:13
churchlady
Village Deaconette

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's 2011. I'm thinking I might need to start Les Miserables NOW, just so I can finish on time.

canyonjoy
Village Tour Guide

PostPosted: Sun Oct 17, 2010 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gosh, I started Les Miserables, oh, about, um, 20 years ago, but never finished. But I've seen the stage play twice, including once on Broadway. Does that count?

I might give this a shot. But then, we have our own book club here and I don't participate. blush

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. Dr. Seuss

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. Albert Einstein

churchlady
Village Deaconette

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

canyonjoy wrote:
Gosh, I started Les Miserables, oh, about, um, 20 years ago, but never finished. But I've seen the stage play twice, including once on Broadway. Does that count?

I might give this a shot. But then, we have our own book club here and I don't participate. blush

Sure, it counts! You'll still be able to discuss the story. It is sort of like a badge of honor to say that you've completed the book, though, isn't it?!

txmommy129
Marine Corps Brat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give it a go, but I'm so horrible on following through... blush

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mamaG
City Planner

PostPosted: Sun Dec 26, 2010 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read The Shack twice and I love it! I'm totally up for discussing it.

My Gallery

nene
Park Board Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read "The Help" and it was SO GOOD! It was a quick read, too.
My book club read the dragon tattoo book, too. I didn't b/c I just never got around to picking it up. Apparently, it is pretty hard to get into, but once you do, it's good. They said the first 150-200 pages are financial and historical stuff that is hard to read. I think, if I ever read it, I'll just start at page 200!

Do most book clubs pick their books for the whole year? It's a good idea, because sometimes we are late getting ours together. We are picking them 2 months ahead this year, so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for sharing your list, I will definitely be reading some of these books!

the (still) new Mrs. Henderson and soon to be mommy!
my gallery
canyonjoy
Village Tour Guide

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nene wrote:
My book club read the dragon tattoo book, too. I didn't b/c I just never got around to picking it up. Apparently, it is pretty hard to get into, but once you do, it's good. They said the first 150-200 pages are financial and historical stuff that is hard to read. I think, if I ever read it, I'll just start at page 200!

James Michener books are like that. The first 200 pages or so are pre-historic and historical stuff which I never minded as I'm a history kind of gal, but it puts some people off.

The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go. Dr. Seuss

Logic will get you from A to B. Imagination will take you everywhere. Albert Einstein

churchlady
Village Deaconette

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nene wrote:
I read "The Help" and it was SO GOOD! It was a quick read, too.

Do most book clubs pick their books for the whole year? It's a good idea, because sometimes we are late getting ours together. We are picking them 2 months ahead this year, so we'll see how that goes.

Thanks for sharing your list, I will definitely be reading some of these books!

OH, NO (about the Dragon Tattoo book.) I saw the movies and they are SO GREAT. (subtitles and all.)

I'm buzzing through Chocolate Chip murders - not my fave, but the recipes are FANTASTIC. Then I must get going on Les Mis.

cheerful cropper
City Planner

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a really tough time with this book and didn't finish it :(
just not my cup of tea.

churchlady
Village Deaconette

PostPosted: Sat Feb 05, 2011 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheerful cropper wrote:

i had a really tough time with this book and didn't finish it :(
just not my cup of tea.

This was a book that was not on my reading "wish list" What was it for you? I'd love to hear what you thought.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    ScrapVillage.com Forum Index -> The Book Nook All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: